Thursday 26 January 2023

Dave and Diamond on Becoming saddle Horses









 Finally, Dave and Diamond are being ridden.  They are wonderful to ride.  Both feel safe.  Of course, they had extensive groundwork prior to this point.  I think horses enjoy being ridden because the rider is sitting quiet on them.  No noise, no flapping plastic etc.

Diamond is very smooth.  She just glides along.  Even though she is only 14.3 hands she feels big.  I have ordered a Ghost saddle as I can get it adjusted wide enough.  She has almost no withers and a very wide, flat back.  She goes in Corinne's Ghost now so there shouldn't be an issue with fit.  I hope

Diamond's tail is swinging as she walks.  She blows her nose on the first lap around the arena.  

Work sessions are short.  The last one was 30 minutes.  The weather has been above or about freezing so we were comfortable.  It is still January but I suspect the temperatures will drop and stay down for a while.


Dave is very smooth.  He doesn't glide as Diamond does.  I feel he has a tightness in his back.  I had Kate Beckett out to massage him and he looked lovely.  His canter on the lunge is beautiful.  He can regulate his pace.  Kate didn't massage him as it appears, once again, he has fixed himself.  Wildies are wonderful horses.

I hop on one horse while Corinna works the other.  She learns fast.,,, hands down, legs on, hands together, sit still etc.  I work on responding to leg aids, reins, contact, some lateral work.  

Their schooling will continue for as long as we can.  They don't really need a break as they are worked twice a week.  I should do something with them on the days Corinne isn't here.  We will see.  My energy level is good but not always great.  And other things take my energy eg farrier.







Videos and photos to be posted in a bit.





No comments:

Post a Comment