Thursday 2 April 2020

2020





Covid-19. Another quarantine.  Earlier this year, it was ticks and before that ringworm.  All brought in by a young (too young to be without her mother) foal.  Poor thing.  She was in quarantine for 2 weeks, and instead of putting her in with a herd, I left her and the other foal in the quarantine paddock.  Good thing as it is 3 weeks for ringworm to show up.  In all, 8 horses had it—5 of mine.  I didn't touch 3 other boarders, so they didn't have anything.

It took quite a bit of touching for the other horses to get.  I used Miss July for lessons and worked with Gus, Marigold and Alex.  I am not surprised Gus got it the worst of them as he still is not quite up to par.  His coat isn't rough, but it isn't shiny.  Next year he will be better.

Covid-19 has resulted in the cancellation of lessons.  More income lost.  The boarders are paying, though.

Luca has not eaten a hole in the hay net.  Could it be because the hay isn't that great, so no rush to eat?  Kit is allowing him to share the bale with him.  I thought the bale (big square) would last a month.  Not sure now as I think this is the 3rd bale since the end of February.  The herd of 9 goes through a bale a week. They are in great shape.  Lily and Alex are a bit thin but not bad/scary thin.

The big square bales were cut from the middle to the end of August.  I guess this is what I should be looking for in hay now, as none of the fatties is fat. Not thin but not gaining weight.

The really loose nets are quite easy to put on the bales.  I think the white nets for a round bale will fit the square bales too.  They are a funny shape anyway.  Or else that is what they have been sending me.  The opening is the narrowest.  Better than the green nets.  They rot and are really heavy when wet or frozen.  The babies (3 boarders and Ziva) eat out of a green net as they are getting Ron's round bales.  The hay ended up being quite good as the leaves kept growing.  I think that is the orchard grass.  One good thing for it. Or that other grass my horses won't eat.






I bought 4 straw square bales for Petra's baby to lie in.  When I got it home saw it was oat straw... with the heads on it? I hope she doesn't stand there and eat it.  Will see.

Petra is due May 9 for foaling.  She was bred on June 1.  I hope she has it a bit later.  She is huge and softening and getting a big bag.  The snow is bound to start melting soon.  She is still in the herd.  It is too cold before the end of May to have a baby.








No comments:

Post a Comment