Tuesday 3 February 2015

Dressage Symposium with Gerd Heuschmann and Ellen Bonje, 2015

Interesting to see two points of view in one lesson.  The riders were great.  At one point I thought they were riding with big errors so we could see the changes.
Gerd comes from a classical…the horse is every thing back ground and Ellen comes from let s compete.

I think that if your horse is correct in the basics then the things the horse will do well will be even better.  I would rather have a horse that is correct in the basics.  Competiton has never been my forte so not surprise there.  I find it gets in the way of my schoolin programme.  I don't need a compettion to motivate me to ride.

So  many horses had tension issues.  Some riders definately were worried about letting their horse go forward (in case the horse really got going?).  Maybe the rider should step back onto a horse that doesn't scare her so she can learn and feel what a truly loose, free horse can do.  It is wonderful and a great feeling.

Gerd solution to overbent and tense was to loosen the reins and let the horse go.  (the doors were closed so where would the horses go?  I think I have used that a few times!)  One rider let her horse go.  What a difference.  So much easier than riding the horse and half an hour later getting the horse loose.  ..but hten the time was up so.. whereas a little long trot and gallop got the horse free and loose in 5 minutes and then there was the rest of the time to school.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment