Sunday 26 August 2018

Peter Pan

I sent Peter Pan for training and decided that I would sell him as people were interested.  I didn't think he would be a good school horse/pony.  That means something as none of the school horses/ponies are your typical schoolies.  They choose to do lessons,  If the horse ddin't like the lessons, then I would use them.

He was sold to a person, who had ridden as a kid (not sure how long ago or how well, or for how long).  I got emails telling me how much she loved Peter Pan.  First, sign of incompatitbility:  love.  She loved that he came to the fence (an easy fix if your horse is not socialable).  In Peter Pan's case because he was given endless treats and had no manners it was a warning to me.  A horse coming to the fence to talk to you should not be a good reason to buy a horse. (and if you saw the fence you would be worried about the horse getting hurt).  It could also mean he is hungry.  Peter Pan is always hungry as he wasn't fed well as a youngster.

Another email told me that she was having trouble putting a bridle on him.  Ooops.  Can't bridle her horse?  Must be banging his teeth with the bit.  Banging teeth is a sure way to teach a horse to be difficult to bridle.  Anyone buying a just started horse should be able to bridle and unbridle a horse and to figure out what is wrong if there is a problem.

Another email told me that she was having trouble leading him from the field because the other horse was in heat, there was another horse calling to him.  Never had that problem before.  He was always willing to leave with me or one of my students.

My advice to her was to sell him.  She wasn't going to do him any favours keeping him becasue she couldn't handle him.  End of emails listing her complaints about Peter Pan.  I don't see things going well for him.  Too bad.  I told the trainer he wasn't for beginners. (he never would be for beginners).

What a shame.  Another person bought a horse she wished she could ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment